Nigerian student killed: Philippine police open murder case against suspect
By Zuleihat Owuiye, Mamos Nigeria
The Philippine National Police has filed murder charges against six Chinese suspects for their alleged involvement in the murder of Nigerian medical student Chibuikem Emmanuel in the country.
A friend of the deceased revealed this in a chat with our correspondent on Tuesday.”
According to an X user on Sunday, Chibuyikem was allegedly killed by a Chinese group. He disclosed that the deceased was tortured to death by the assailants, who tied his hands and mouth and then beat him to death.
He said the incident took place at 6014 Aurakson Street, Mandaue City, Philippines. He further told our correspondent that the matter started around October 19 and was based on the request for fees to Chibuyikem’s Filipino girlfriend.
“There was a heated argument between the deceased, his girlfriend, and the manager of the company, who happened to be Chinese.The argument was about the commission that Mr. Chibuikem’s girlfriend was supposed to receive,” the friend told Punch. told Metro.
He said the matter then came to light when two vehicles entered the premises and the occupants claimed to have taken Mr Chibuikem and taken him to the police station for harassment. Friends of the deceased later discovered that Chibuyikem had not been taken to the station. The friend said a bus then arrived and dropped the student, whose hands were tied and his face was bruised, at the police station.
Chibuikem was later pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital, he further disclosed.
PUNCH Metro also reported that the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission on Monday said it would investigate the alleged killing of the student, according to a statement by the commission`s spokesperson, Abdur-Rahman Balogun.
“The commission will set the machinery in motion to investigate the matter and unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident,” the spokesperson said.
When contacted on Tuesday, Abdur-Rahman said the commission would only rely on information it got from the Nigerian embassy in the Philippines and that of the complainant to aid its investigation, adding, “So, we`re still investigating.”
The National Association of Nigerian Students also demanded justice for the deceased.
PUNCH Metro learnt on Tuesday that the Mandaue City Police Office had filed cases of murder against the six Chinese nationals, who allegedly killed the Nigerian, who died on October 21, a Philippines-based media outfit, Cebu Daily News, reported.
Police Lt. Col. Franco Oriol, deputy city administrator and MCPO spokesperson, said he had been able to identify four of the six Chinese nationals allegedly involved and that murder cases had been filed against them.
“According to witnesses, the Nigerian refused to work at his assigned job there, and the Chinese suspected that he had sexually harassed one of his colleagues.” “A Nigerian man was being abused in the next room,” a police spokesperson was quoted as saying.