Nigeria: Tragic Incident at Kogi State Polytechnic: Two Students Die from Generator Fumes

Nigeria: Tragic Incident at Kogi State Polytechnic: Two Students Die from Generator Fumes

By Ahmad Hadizat Omayoza, Mamos Nigeria

In a heartbreaking incident, two students from Kogi State Polytechnic, Lokoja, lost their lives due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator placed near the window of their residence overnight. The tragic incident was confirmed by the state police public relations officer, SP William Ovye Aya, in a telephone interview with correspondents.

The victims were identified as Bilikisu Eleojo, aged 20, and Ibrahim Haliru. According to SP Aya, the generator emitted toxic fumes while the students were asleep, leading to their untimely demise before dawn. Their lifeless bodies were discovered by neighbors early in the morning within their room.

The police spokesperson provided further details, stating, “Three students from Kogi State Polytechnic were in the room – Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, Ibrahim Haliru, and Mercy Ojochegbe. As they slept inside, a generator set positioned near the window was turned on. They unknowingly inhaled carbon monoxide due to the generator fumes.”

He continued, “Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo and Ibrahim Haliru were found dead by neighbors in the morning, while Mercy Ojochegbe, who was still alive, was promptly taken to the hospital. The incident was reported at the ‘B’ Division of the Nigeria Police Force Lokoja, and investigations are underway.”

SP Aya urged residents to prioritize safety measures to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning incidents in their homes.

This tragedy echoes a similar incident in December, where a young couple tragically succumbed to generator fumes in Ugborikoko community, Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State. The couple, having celebrated the girlfriend’s birthday at a nightclub, returned to her shop where they eventually lost their lives due to carbon monoxide inhalation from a generator locked inside their apartment overnight.

As investigations continue into these devastating incidents, it serves as a stark reminder of the importance of awareness and precautions regarding generator usage, especially in confined spaces, to prevent further loss of lives.

No Comments

Post A Comment

Translate »