Nigeria: Investigation Launched into Tragic Fire Incident that Claims Life of Three-Year-Old in Lagos

Nigeria: Investigation Launched into Tragic Fire Incident that Claims Life of Three-Year-Old in Lagos

By Zuleihat Owuiye, Mamos Nigeria

The Lagos State Police Command has commenced an investigation into a devastating fire incident that resulted in the death of a three-year-old boy named Michael. The fire broke out at Olorunsogo Street, Ejigbo, in Lagos State, and is believed to have been caused by a melted candle.

According to reports, the fire incident occurred late in the evening, around 11:10 p.m., on Saturday. The candle, which was lit in one of the rooms, melted and sparked the fire, leading to the tragic loss of young Michael’s life.

A police source revealed that the fire engulfed the compound, destroying a total of 10 rooms and causing extensive damage to properties worth millions of naira. The intensity of the fire resulted in the complete burning of the young boy.

Dapo, a resident in the area, recounted the incident and expressed concern over the use of candles. He stated, “The houses in the compound burnt totally and the small boy burnt completely. Candles are not advisable to use at all because I wonder how just one candle destroyed millions of naira.”

Emergency response teams, including the Lagos State Fire Fighters and the Lagos State Ambulance Service, swiftly arrived at the scene. The firefighters successfully extinguished the fire, while the ambulance service attended to the boy’s remains.

Benjamin Hundeyin, the Police Public Relations Officer for the state command, confirmed the incident and assured the public that the situation was under control. He stated, “The area is being monitored while the situation is under control. An investigation is ongoing.”

This tragic fire incident serves as a reminder of the importance of fire safety measures and the need for caution when using candles or any other open flames. It is crucial for individuals to be aware of the potential dangers and to take necessary precautions to prevent such devastating incidents.

The authorities should continue to prioritize fire safety awareness campaigns and ensure that buildings have proper fire safety measures in place. Additionally, efforts should be made to educate the public about alternative lighting options to reduce the risk of fire accidents.

The loss of a young life in such a manner is truly heartbreaking, and it is our collective responsibility to work towards preventing such tragedies in the future.

Post a Comment

Translate »