Nigeria: Family Hospitalized After Cooking Gas Explosion in Lagos

Nigeria: Family Hospitalized After Cooking Gas Explosion in Lagos

By Ahmad Hadizat Omayoza, Mamos Nigeria

A tragic incident unfolded at 1, Odubanwo Street, off Olaniyi Street, Gbinrinmi in Ojokoro LCDA, Lagos, when a cooking gas explosion rocked the tranquility of the neighborhood. Among those affected was four-year-old Faridat Shittu, who now lies in critical condition at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), alongside her grandfather, grandmother, and uncle.

The aftermath of the explosion has left the victims battling severe burns and trauma as medical personnel at LASUTH work tirelessly to stabilize their condition. Recounting the harrowing events, Faridat’s grandmother, still reeling from the pain of her injuries, shared the chilling sequence of events that led to the tragedy.

According to her account, she was frying meat when the cooking oil unexpectedly caught fire. Despite frantic attempts to contain the flames, the situation quickly spiraled out of control, culminating in a devastating explosion fueled by the cooking gas. Amidst the chaos, little Faridat, unaware of the impending danger, was asleep in a nearby room, only to be rescued by courageous community members along with the other injured victims.

The repercussions of the explosion extended beyond the physical injuries suffered by the victims. The intense blaze razed the 14-room building, including shops, to the ground, leaving eleven families displaced and homeless in its wake.

This heartbreaking incident serves as a poignant reminder of the dangers posed by cooking gas explosions and the devastating impact they can have on individuals and communities. As the affected families endure the arduous journey towards recovery, it underscores the importance of fire safety awareness and measures to prevent such tragedies from recurring in the future.

Post a Comment

Translate »