By Ousman A. Marong
Sarjo Manneh, father of the late Gambian journalist Chief Ebrima Manneh, has urged the Gambia Government authorities to exhume his son’s remains for proper burial.
The 99-year-old man (Sarjo Manneh) renewed this call on the government authorities in an interview with Mamos Tv reporter Ousman A. Marong on Monday evening.
He said he has been calling on the Gambia government to exhume the remains of his late son who was reported to have died in custody of the State under former president Yahya Jammeh’s regime, but to no avail.
However, Sarjo Manneh is still challenging the Barrow led government to exhume the remains of his son and hand it over to the family for proper burial.
A tearful 99-year-old Sarjo said the compensation they received from the government was a good gesture, but quick to add that the money cannot replace his son’s life.
“I have few questions that I always asked myself and they are: I want to know who killed my son; how my son was killed; where was he buried; who knows where his body was buried or who must have spotted where his body was dumped? Anytime I asked myself these questions it always gave me trauma,” he cried.
He said his son means a lot to him and therefore he cannot compare his worth with money.
On her part, Adama Manneh, sister of the late Ebrima Manneh, said: “I have contacted the forensic experts earlier, regarding my brother’s exhumation, and the response I had from them some time ago, was that they do not have the required materials for exhumation.”
She informed our reporter that she was called by the forensic experts to go and answer to them at the Yundum Barracks latest Tuesday, 26th November 2019.
She said the forensic experts also informed her that the required machines for exhumation have arrived safely in the country.
Chief Ebrima Manneh was a journalist at the then pro-government Daily Observer newspaper. He was arrested at the Daily Observer’s former office in Bakau on 7th July 2006 by officers of the defunct National Intelligence Agency (NIA) now revamped to the State Intelligence Services (SIS).
The Gambia Government under President Adama Barrow had also compensated the family of the late journalist, sometime in October last year with US$100, 000.