STATEMENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF THE GAMBIA ON THE MURDER OF MR JAMAL KHASHOGGI
The vicious murder, dismemberment and mysterious disposal of the body of the Saudi journalist the late Mr Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul on the 2nd of October 2018, is a crime vehemently condemned by all countries including the Republic of The Gambia and The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
This reprehensible act is unacceptable.
That being said, the Government of The Gambia greatly appreciates that The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has taken the following actions and measures with regard to this tragic incident.
1. Accepted that the incident took place at its Consulate in Istanbul.
2. Expressed profound regret for the tragic outcome of the late Jamal Khashoggi’s interrogation at the Consulate
3. Denied vigorously any knowledge or involvement of either His Majesty King Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques or His Royal Highness Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud of the murder.
4. Expressed condolences to the son and family members of Mr Khashoggi.
5. Launched an investigation into the matter which resulted in the arrest of twenty-one (21) suspects, five (5) of whom are currently charged with the death penalty according to the Laws of the Kingdom.
6. Further investigations into the matter are still ongoing, under the supervision of the Kingdom’s Judiciary.
7. Assurances and commitments made that this type of incident will not happen again.
In light of the above, the Government of The Gambia wishes to commend the Saudi authorities for the measures taken so far and expresses its solidarity with the Kingdom on its principled stance on this matter
The Government of the Gambia is also highly confident that His Majesty King Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, with the assistance of the Kingdom’s Judiciary will handle this matter with all the urgency and seriousness it so highly and rightfully deserves.
Source: Press Release MOFA