FIFTY FIRST EXTRAORDINARY SUMMITOF THE ECOWAS AUTHORITY OF HEADS OF STATE ANDGOVERNMENT ON THE POLITICAL SITUATION IN NIGER
Abuja, 30th July 2023
Abuja, July 2023
- The Authority of Heads of State and Government of the Economic
Community of West African States (ECOWAS) met in an Extraordinary Session in
Abuja, Nigeria on 30th July 2023, under the chairmanship of H.E. Bola Ahmed
TINUBU, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and Chair of the ECOWAS
- The Extraordinary Summit was convened in response to the latest political
developments in the Republic of Niger since the 26th July 2023 coup d’état
- Present at the Summit were the following Heads of State and Government
and mandated representatives:
- H.E. Patrice TALON, President of the Republic of Benin.
- H.E. Alassane OUATTARA, President of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire.
- H.E. Adama BARROW, President of the Republic of The Gambia.
- H.E. Nana Addo Dankwa AKUFO-ADDO, President of the Republic of
- H.E. Umaro Sissoco EMBALO, President of the Republic of Guinea Bissau.
- H.E. Bola Ahmed TINUBU, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- H.E. Macky SALL, President of the Republic of Senegal.
- H.E. Faure Essozimna GNASSINGBE, President of the Togolese Republic.
- H.E. Rui Alberto DE FIGUEIREDO SOARES, Minister of Foreign Affairs,
Cooperation and Regional Integration of the Republic of Cabo Verde.
- H.E. Amb. Dee-Maxwell SOAH KEMAYAH, Sn, Minister of Foreign Affairs of
the Republic of Liberia.
- H.E. Rupert DAVIES, High Commissioner of Sierra Leone to the Federal
Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS, Republic of Sierra Leone.
- The Representative of President Bazoum, Republic of Niger.
- The Summit was also attended by:
● H.E. Dr Omar Alieu TOURAY, President of the ECOWAS Commission.
● H.E. Moussa Faki MAHAMAT, Chairperson of the African Union Commission
● H.E. Leonardo Santos SIMÃO, Special Representative of the United Nations
Secretary General For West Africa and the Sahel and Head of UNOWAS
● H.E. Abdoulaye DIOP, President of UEMOA Commission
The Authority, having:
- Received the Memorandum of the President of the ECOWAS Commission
on the political situation in the Republic of Niger;
- Extensively discussed the latest developments in the Republic of Niger that
have been marked by an attempted overthrow by members of the Presidential
Guard of the Constitutional order in the Republic of Niger and the illegal
detention of the legitimate Head of State His Excellency President Muhammed
Bazoum as well as members of his family and government;
- Recalled, with appreciation, the immediate steps that HE Bola Ahmed
Tinubu, Chair of Authority, has taken in the form of statements, communiquės,
mission and consultations with regional, continental, and world leaders;
- Taken cognizance of the condemnation of the attempted coup and the
illegal detention of President Bazoum and members of his family and
government by the neighbouring countries, the African Union, United Nations,
European Union, United States of America, China, Russia, la Francophonie, the
Commonwealth, the OIC and other partners;
- Recalled the principle of Zero tolerance for unconstitutional change of
government as enshrined in the ECOWAS and African Union Protocols and other
- Resolve as follows:
a. Affirm that His Excellency President Mohamed BAZOUM remains the
legitimate elected President and Head of State of The Republic of Niger
recognized by ECOWAS, the African Union and the International
community; In this regards, only official acts of President Bazoum or his
duly mandated officials will be recognized by ECOWAS;
b. Condemn in the strongest terms the attempted overthrow of constitutional
order in Niger and the illegal detention of His Excellency President
Mohamed Bazoum, President and Head of State of Niger, as well as
members of his family and Government;
c. Call for the immediate release and reinstatement of President Mohamed
Bazoum as President and Head of State of the Republic of Niger, and for the
full restoration of constitutional order in the Republic of Niger;
d. Reject any form of resignation that may purportedly come from His
Excellency President Mohamed Bazoum;
e. Consider the illegal detention of President Bazoum as a hostage situation
and hold the authors of the attempted coup d’état solely and fully
responsible for the safety and security of His Excellency President
Mohamed Bazoum, as well as members of his family and Government;
f. In the event the Authority’s demands are not met within one week, take all
measures necessary to restore constitutional order in the Republic of
Niger. Such measures may include the use of force; To this effect, the Chiefs
of defense staff of ECOWAS are to meet immediately;
g. Hold accountable all those responsible for violence and terror against lives
and properties of innocent citizens and residents;
h. Condemn the pronouncement of support by foreign governments and
foreign private military contractors;
i. Express appreciation to the various governments and partners for their
stance and solidarity with ECOWAS;
j. Appoint and dispatch a special representative of the Chair of the Authority
to Niger immediately to deliver the demands of the Authority;
k. In the meantime, the following measures are to be applied with immediate
- Closure of land and air borders between ECOWAS countries and Niger;
- Institution of ECOWAS no-fly zone on all commercial flights to and from
- Suspension of all commercial and financial transactions between
ECOWAS Member States and Niger;
- Freeze of all service transaction including utility services;
- Freeze of assets of the Republic of Niger in ECOWAS Central Banks;
- Freeze of assets of the Niger State and the State Enterprises and
Parastatals in Commercial Banks;
- Suspension of Niger from all financial assistance and transactions with
all financial institutions, particularly, EBID and BOAD;
- Travel ban and asset freeze for the military officials involved in the coup
attempt. The same applies to their family members and the civilians who
accept to participate in any institutions or government established by
these military officials;
- Calls on WAEMU and all other regional bodies to implement this
l. Express appreciation to His Excellency Bola Ahmed Tinubu, President
and Head of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for the manner in
which he has been conducting the affairs of the community since his
election as Chair of the ECOWAS Authority.
Done at Abuja, this 30th day of July 2023.
FOR THE AUTHORITY